Monday, May 31, 2010

Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, never let it fade away


Firstly, I'd like you to know that no national topic has concerned me, or conflicted me as much as 1Malaysia has. But it must be said. 1Malaysia will not materialise. Shame, because it is such a valiant effort by Najib, and it has, is, and will guzzle more taxpayers money. It is also a shame that his own Deputy put his efforts two (or more) steps back by saying "I am Malay first, but being Malay doesn't mean I am not Malaysian," in retaliation to DAP leader Lim Kit Siang's challenge for him to state whether he is a Malay or a Malaysian first.

If someone that high up does not believe in the Malaysian concept, how can any implementation possibly see results? For that reason, among others, including existing inter-racial tensions, 1Malaysia will not work.

"Will running down your own country make others respect us more?", said Youth and Sports Deputy Minister Datuk Razali Ibrahim. Quoted from today's The Star, page 9. Dear Minister, my answer is YES, if it means promoting change and action for the betterment of my homeland, then so be it!

I grew up thinking I was a Chinese Malaysian. But I can change. Hear me roar, I am Malaysian! Though I do it with a little timidness, and a little reluctance, because my country is not up to par with my expectations. 

And how can you stereotype Malaysians? Sure, perhaps our accents may be a little weird to other citizens of the world, but it is such a no-brainer, since Malaysian's are such a diverse bunch of people. 

And still I hope. Hope beyond hope, that someday we will be at peace with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment