Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Rebel

intr.v.-belled-bel·ling-bels.




  1. To refuse allegiance to and oppose by force an established government or ruling authority.
  2. To resist or defy an authority or a generally accepted convention.
  3. To feel or express strong unwillingness or repugnance: She rebelled at the unwelcome suggestion.

A rebel is a person who defies authority.


So, if I skip class, am I a rebel?

Yes?

What if I told my lecturer that I was going to skip this class to finish an assignment?

Am I still a rebel?

What if, my friend and I draw pictures like this during Physics class?


Am I still a rebel then?

But, let’s face it, some defiance of authority never hurt anyone. It helps when you are not particularly fond of the said authority. Or you could do it, just for kicks.

Like the time I went onto the roof of my secondary school, the tallest section being 4 storeys high, overlooking the field. What a view... Too bad they gated the balcony soon after.

Please, don’t get me wrong, I was never on the wrong side of the school authorities. Not enough apparently, as I left a Vice President of the Librarian Board, President of the School Counselling Unit (UBS), and Secretary of the Fencing Club. 

I’m pretty sure I know where I got my rebellious streak from though, when my dad was a wee lil’ boy in Teluk Intan, Perak, he used to defy his elder sister and run off to the huge drain behind his school to swim. Hush, back then, even sewer water was clean, especially if it had been raining. He would swim with my uncle, or catch fish, or tadpoles.

So I guess we’re not so different after all. Go on, ask your parents what silly things they did before. If they don’t tell you now, they will later.

Being mature helps.


Cheers!






No comments:

Post a Comment