Thursday, May 20, 2010

Stay Connected!

1. What communication medium (SMS, Instant Messenger, Phone, Twitter, Facebook), do you and your friends use the most to communicate through and why? What are the positives and negatives of each?

Facebook and Microsoft Messenger are among the most famous communication medium my friends and I use to communicate through. I can bet with you majority of us have a Facebook account and all of us have an Instant Messenger account! Basically, those are the needs for me to connect to my friend in nation wide such as Australia, Singapore, Taiwan, America, Netherlands and United States. Besides, it helps me to get reunited with my relatives, kindergarden friends, primary school friends and so much more which I could not meet them in person so often. All my current schoolmates do connect to each other in social networks to discuss about homework. For those who absent from school with personal reason or sick, they ask for homework through social networks too. There are many positive impacts but at time can be negative too. One of the positive impact was low communication cost. We do not have to pay any basic services provided by the Internet. Furthermore, the cost of the connection to the Internet is relatively cheap. People can share opinions and informations through social networks. News or messages can be sent via message box provided by social network sites to anyone efficiently. Communication on the social network are borderless. People all around the world can be connected through each other by using social networking sites. The one and only negative impact was using a computer for long hours frequently can harm users physically or mentally, or both at the same time.


2. Is social networking sites like Facebook or Twitter making your life better or worse?

Social networking sites definitely makes our life better. Why is it better? Mainly because it helps individual to stay connected with our far far away relatives and friends.



3. Please list the number of online social networking sites (Facebook, Friendster, Twitter, blog) which ones you are a member of and why you chose to have a profile/account on each of them? What activities do you usually do when you are social networking sites?

Facebook, Friendster, Blogger, Twitter, Blogger, Skype, Flickr, Orkut and hi5. Those are on the top list of social networking sites and can't deny that all of my relative and fellow friends are a member too. Therefore, I choose to have a account on those social networking sites. Despite the use of social network site to socialize each of us, I spread information through those sites. For example, I spread most of the Campaign from YouthSays.com in Facebook. I love to view photos on my friends social networking profile when they have tons of new photos. In addition, when I have nothing really much to do in social networking sites, I would play mini games provided. For example, Fish A Fish, Roller-coaster Tycoon, Friends For Sale and Texas Hold'em in Facebook.


4. How many Facebook/Friendster/MySpace/Twitter friends do you have? Who are these people? How many of these do you consider ‘close friends’? How many of them have you not meet before?

I have approximately 821 friends in Facebook. I would only mention my Facebook social networking profile here because that is the only social networking sites I was active in. Those 821 people are my friends from different places such as Canada and Australia. They all are my close friends and I have met all of them in person before. For those friend request which I am not sure who they are, I always click "IGNORE". That is why I remain having 790 friends in my Facebook account.


5. Do you prefer to meet people for the first time online or face-to-face? Why?

Preferable in person because we can easily know them more and assure their personalities and identity. Besides, it trains us to talk to other people more rather than typing messages through communication mediums and facing the computer all the time. But honestly, Youth nowadays would rather pick to meet people online rather than in person mainly because when we are chatting with a new friend, we can open another chat windows on the other side and chat.







6. Do you have Twitter? If yes, how many followers do you currently have? Who do you follow?

I do have a Twitter account with few followers. But I never update it since the day I register to be a member. I don't see any need of Twitter to help staying in contact with other. Besides, Twitter are plain boring. Well, maybe I haven't find out what is like to Twitter and the advantage of using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment